How to fortify food
If you are not eating as well as you would normally, the following tips may help you to get more calories without necessarily having to eat more food.
You can fortify your food i.e. add extra calories in the following ways:
To sweet foods add fortified milk, sugar, cream, honey and syrup, ice cream and evaporated milk. For example:
- add cream/ custard/ ice cream/ evaporated milk with pies, sponge or fruit
- make jelly with milk not water
- add 1 tablespoon of milk powder into 1 portion of porridge, milk puddings, custard
- add extra sugar, honey or syrups into desserts and cereals
Ideas for nourishing drinks:
- use your fortified milk to make up;
- Hot drinks e.g. hot chocolate, horlicks, ovaltine, coffee, instant soups
- Cold drinks e.g. milkshakes with added ice cream and flavourings
- insert milkshake recipe
- fruit juice and fizzy drinks (avoid low calorie ones)
- alcohol (check with your doctor first)
Drink supplements - Special powdered drinks such as Complan and Build Ups are available from most chemists and supermarkets. These are available in a variety of sweet and savoury flavours. Special energy and protein supplements are available from your Doctor. If you think these would be helpful, please ask the Dietitian for advice.
Further general information Your doctors and specialist nurses are in an ideal position to give you relevant information on your disease and treatment as they know your individual circumstances. Cancerbackup has a help line (0808 800 1234) and a prize winning video available in English, Italian, Urdu, Bengali, Gujarati & Hindi explaining Radiotherapy & Chemotherapy. Cancernet.co.uk has over 500 pages describing cancer, its management, practical tips and tool which patients, their carers and their doctors have found helpful during the cancer journey.